Historic Area Assessment & Management Plans
Our in-house archaeological, historical and building conservation expertise means that we can provide expert primary and secondary documentary research into historic places and their setting, and assess their special interest through fieldwork and public engagement.
We have extensive experience of developing an understanding of historic towns and settlements, and the contribution made by the historic environment to their present-day character.
Our services include
- Conservation Area Appraisals for new and revised designations
- Historic Area Assessments
- Extensive Urban Survey (EUS)
- Historic Landscape Characterisation (HLC)
- Setting Assessments
- Preparation of area-based management plans to identify issues, opportunities, potential actions & policies for future management
Some previous projects
As part of the development work for Dudley’s second Townscape Heritage project, the Council commissioned us to prepare a Management Plan for the Town Centre Conservation Area. This involved an analysis of the key threats to the area and its special interest, the tools to be used for its future management (including planning policies, planning measures and a framework for design and maintenance), how the community would be engaged in managing the area in the long term; and how the plan would be put into practice.